• it
  • en
  • de
  • es

San Teodoro

San Teodoro counts about 4500 people distributed among the center and the suburb with an extension of 104.8 km². It became independent in 1959, but has a long history that started during the Eneolithic (2000-1500 BC), continues during the Nuragic period and passes through Phoenician, Punic, Roman and Byzantine dominations until today.
In particular we can find testimonies of Nuragic period in the area of Naracheddu (which means little nuraghe) and Ottiolu. From 384 BC starts the Roman colonization, which, after defeating the Carthaginians and the indigenous tribes, builds various infrastructures like streets, bridges, aqueducts and houses in the countryside. During this period was born the little center of “Coclearia”, in the areas of the current zone called Citai and the lagoon. After the defeat of the Western Roman Empire, Coclearia was invaded by the Barbarians until 553 AD, when general of Eastern Roman empire Belisario conquests Sardinia. During the 9th century AD born “I 4 giudicati” (4 regions); San Teodoro belongs to the “giudicato” of Gallura and Civita (Olbia) is the capital. Afterwards, Pisa confiscates the “giudicato” and in 1923 starts the Aragonese conquest of the Island until 1400 AD. In 1479, after the marriage of Ferdinando the catholic and Isabella of Castilla, born Spain and Sardinia became Spanish. Gallura, instead, was divided and assigned to some feudal lords. At this time, the population passes through dark times and we have no reconstructions of those days; the only thing we know is that San Teodoro became a desert land. However, from the end of 1600, the town was rebuilt around the country church by Corsicans and colonist from Tempio Pausania. In 1720 Sardinia passes under the power of Savoy and after the feudalism was abolished, San Teodoro was assigned to the municipality of Posada, obtaining the independence only in 1959. During the Fascism, the town became part of the province of Nuoro, but maintains the traditions of Gallura. Currently San Teodoro is in the province of Olbia-Tempio, which includes the historic region of Gallura.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This